Walk 1817 - printer friendly version
Walesby from Tealby Walk
Author - Hugh Marrows
Length - 5.0 miles / 8.1 km
Ascent - 600 feet / 182 metres
Grade - easy
Start - OS grid reference TF157909
Lat 53.40225 + Long -0.26119704
Postcode LN8 3XW (approx. location only)
Exploring some of Lincolnshire's highest Wolds this walk forms part of the county's classic hill walk. This walk is the initial section of walk 3224, which is the classic hill walk in the Lincolnshire. Refreshments can be obtained in Tealby at the tearooms or one of the inns. Much of the route follows the Viking Way.
Tealby has long been regarded one of Lincolnshire's prettiest villages. Shown as "Tavelsbi" in the Domesday Book its abundant streams good water supplied fourteen watermills and in later years paper was milled there (there's still a Papermill Lane). On the hilltop the golden-coloured, ironstone church of All Saints has Tennyson family memorials inside.
All Saints, Walesby's oldest church, sits amongst the earthworks of the mediaeval village, which has over the centuries drifted downhill to its present site. In spite of generations of neglect (or perhaps because of it!) All Saints genuinely mediaeval interior survived and was renovated in the 1930's since when it has famously hosted an annual ramblers service each Trinity Sunday. An apt, though modern addition is a stained glass window depicting Christ with C20th ramblers and cyclists.
Below in the "new" village the replacement church is St. Mary's, built in 1913 after thirty years fundraising by the Rev. Percival Laurence, a devoted clergyman who by tragic irony died the very day that building work began. The design is rare in having central nave pillars reaching to the roof apex and constricting the aisle; a "problem" at weddings and funerals!
But on this walk it is the scenery we have come for! Although the terrain is demanding the views are memorable throughout and spectacular in places.
Park considerately along Front Street in Tealby or near the church. Walk through Tealby (as necessary) and enter Caistor Lane by the church. Go left behind the church and then turn right up a signed track, continuing at the top through a gate towards a waymark at a hedge end. Now bear half right to a stile in the field corner and then after two more stiles head down to North Wold Farm. From the farmyard turn right up a track to a road, go left for 300 yards then left again on another signed track down through Risby Manor Farm to a cattle grid.
Now turn right along the hillside before descending into a deep valley to a bridle gate and footbridge. Climb the far side beside a fence, veering left through trees from a waymark then crossing an arable field to reach Walesby All Saints "Ramblers" church.
From here a lane leads down into Walesby; keep ahead when you reach the road before turning right through the "new" churchyard to reach Moor Road. After exploring the village retrace your steps via the "Ramblers" church to Risby.
Cross the farm road below Risby Manor, keeping ahead to a stile before veering left uphill to a waymark and stile at the edge of woods known as Bedlam Plantation. The path runs just within the trees, exiting near Castle Farm and then turns left down the valley heading back towards Tealby. In the final field head diagonally to a gate in top left hand corner.
You will arrive back just below Tealby church. (The path opposite leads down to Front Street, the tearooms and the inn.)